As a developer, I love using a UNIX-like system installed on a solid built machine, so I love using Mac for my development. And I configure my Mac in following specific way for both productivity and happiness.
I install Dropbox and create a new folder under it called “DownloadDropbox” and then configure the download path of Chrome to this folder (
~/Dropbox/DownloadDropbox). So that all my downloads are available in all my devices, regardless they are my iPad or my Android phones.
I install Homebrew from http://brew.sh, and then use it to get packages like
I install Sublime Text 3 (You SHOULD buy it if you haven’t yet), and then bind it to
sublcommand just like everyone else.
I install a bunch of packages for my Sublime Text and configure some settings to my preference.
I install 1Password and use it to manage all my passwords.
- I install Chrome with following extensions: Pocket, AdBlock, Vimium, ghostery and Pushbullet.
- Vimium allows you to control your browser by keyboard, and it works pretty much like Vim.
- AdBlock helps me block ads, and ghostery helps me avoid tracking.
I install Oh-My-Zsh and enable a few plugins.
Solarized Darkas my theme for terminal.
I install Alfred and disable spotlight. Yeah, spotlight is still a light year away from Alfred.
- I imported my workflows to Alfred, and some of them are
- ⌥ + ⌘ + 3: open localhost:3000
- ⌥ + ⌘ + 4: open localhost:4000
- ⌥ + ⌘ + 9: open localhost:9000
- double ⌃: open Chrome
- double ⌥: open Terminal
- ⇧ + ⌘ + p: open Sublime
I install Spectacle from https://www.spectacleapp.com/ to control the window sizes with keyboard.
I install Alternote from http://alternoteapp.com/, which replaces Evernote Mac client.
- I install f.lux to protect my eyes from https://justgetflux.com/.
Okay, this is my setup, and now it’s your turn. :)